Undergraduate Admissions | Department of Biological Sciences

Undergraduate Admissions

How to Become a Biology Major

All students must first be enrolled at the University of North Texas before being eligible to enroll in courses offered by the Department of Biological Sciences. Learn more about UNT undergraduate admissions.

Foundation Coursework Requirements:

You may declare your intent to major in biology upon enrolling at UNT, but you must complete specific foundation coursework in biology, chemistry and mathematics in order to be eligible for upper-level coursework in the major. Consult the UNT Undergraduate Catalog for specific requirements in the biology pre-major, including minimum acceptable grades and grade point averages.

Preparing for UNT

High School Students:

We encourage you to take the Recommended Program or the Distinguished Achievement Program in high school.

In your junior year, take the SAT or the ACT and have your scores sent to UNT.

In your senior year, submit your application for admission to UNT by March 1 (apply online at www.applytexas.org) and request that your high school transcript be sent to the UNT admissions office.

Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate courses can count toward college credit at UNT. For details, visit www.unt.edu/credit.

Transfer Students:

UNT leads Texas and ranks fourth in the nation in the number of transfer students admitted annually.

Proper planning will help you receive the maximum amount of transfer credits. Transfer students should contact our undergraduate advising office as early as possible for assistance in course selection toward major requirements in science and mathematics.

As a benefit for transfer students, UNT participates in the Texas Common Course Numbering System. This system makes it easier to transfer credits for general academic courses from one Texas institution to another. If you're attending a Texas community college, you should consult the UNT Transfer Articulation web page, the UNT Undergraduate Catalog and an academic counselor/advisor to discuss your degree plan.

UNT's Transfer Center will help you make a successful transition to college life at UNT by connecting you to a peer mentor and other valuable campus resources. The center is in the University Union, Room 320. More information is at transfercenter.unt.edu.