Degree Plans | Department of Biological Sciences

Degree Plans

What Is a Degree Plan?

A degree plan is an official contract between you and the University. It lists all the courses needed to complete your chosen degree and shows how all the courses you have completed are being applied toward your degree. You must have a degree plan on file in order to graduate.

When Should You Get a Degree Plan?

You should request a degree plan after you have chosen a major and a minor, and completed approximately 45 hours of coursework. A transfer student should request a degree plan during his or her first semester at UNT. A student seeking secondary teacher certification may request a degree plan after completing approximately 30 hours of coursework.

How to Get a Biology Degree Plan

Step 1:

Contact the Department of Biological Sciences, indicating that you are requesting a degree plan.

Step 2:

Obtain the following documents:

  • a complete copy of all UNT transcripts
  • an evaluated copy of transcripts from all transfer institutions attended (evaluated means the transcripts have been processed by UNT's Office of the Registrar and show the number of hours accepted)
  • if you have transfer work, a catalog or catalog description of the courses you have completed

All transcripts may be ordered at the UNT Office of the Registrar. You may pick them up or have them sent via inter-campus mail to the Department of Biological Sciences.

Step 3:

Bring your transcripts to the Advising Secretary in BIOL 127 (allow 7-10 days if you are having them sent via inter-campus mail).

Step 4:

Request an appointment with your advisor. You and your faculty advisor will determine how completed courses will be used toward your major and which additional courses should be taken to complete the program.

Step 5:

Your advisor will send the advisory sheet and transcripts to the Office of Student Advising, General Academic Building, Room 220.

Step 6:

The Office of Student Advising will begin processing your degree plan when they receive the necessary documents. A copy of the degree plan will be mailed to your permanent address (unless otherwise specified) and they will send a separate copy to the Department of Biological Sciences. The original will be kept on file in the College of Arts and Sciences Office of Student Advising.

It is your responsibility to update each semester's progress on your copy of the degree plan. You are encouraged to schedule an appointment with a departmental advisor if you feel you need assistance.

Thinking about UNT?

It's easy to apply online. Join us and discover why we're the choice of over 38,000 students.

Apply now